Search engine optimization is a way to promote your website in the search engines in order to get found. When someone searches for the business related to your website, if properly optimized your site will show up. This is the whole idea of SEO. As such, you should know the top techniques while optimizing your website for search engines.
Google follows the principle of - "Doing right things in the right way."
10 Tips for Search Engine Optimization
- Title - Create unique and accurate page titles. A title is the most important aspect to be considered for search engine optimization. It tells the users as well as the search engines what the topic of the particular page is. Ideally speaking you should create unique title for every page.
- Description Meta Tag - A description is more than a few words or phrases unlike the title of the page. It tells the search engines what the page is exactly about. The description tag comes in the head section of the HTML document.
- URL Structure - The URL structure is the another important feature for the search engine optimization. Try to make the URL static and descriptive as to be search engine as well as user friendly. The user is more likely to click your URL if he/she finds it in more readable form.
- Internal Linking / Navigation - Navigation in simpler terms implies browsing your websites inner pages. The more simpler the navigation for your web page is the more likely it is for the user to browse through your website. It's a good practice to use bread-crumbs for internal navigation for the pages, and as possible to use text while implementing bread-crumbs.
- Alt Tags - Alt tags provide an important way to effectively inform the search engine spiders about the type of image and also is a nice way to use the important keyword.
- Header Tags - As far as search engine optimization is concerned header tags plays a vital role. Header tags are the HTML tags which can be used in the level of importance from H1, H2 and H3.
- Content- Content forms the most important aspect after the title and the description of the web page. The more useful the content users find, the more likely it is for them to come again and also to share it among themselves.
- Robots.txt - There are certain aspects/files/folders/pages which you as a webmaster won't find interesting to be get indexed in the search results and as such robots file comes into play. Using the Robots.txt file you can restrict the access to the search engine bots to crawl and index the restricted section on your webpage.
- Sitemap -You should always make it a point to create a sitemap for your website, both a static one and an XML. Sitemap provides an effective way to list the important pages on your site and inform both the users in terms of static sitemap and search engine bots in terms of an XML one.
- Webmasters Tools Account - This is very helpful when it comes to keep a track of all the changes occurring in the website. All you need is to create your account in the Google, Yahoo and Bing webmaster account, and start getting updates. This provides an extremely helpful way to get know about the progress of your website.
These are the most important points which you should consider for optimizing the website. There is one aspect which you should never forget - "Design your website for Humans and not for Search Engines".