Search Engines basically follow three principles for a website,
- Web Crawling
- Web Indexing
- Web Searching
The web crawler starts with a list of URLs to visit, called the seeds and identifies all the hyperlinks in the page and adds them to the list of URLs to visit.
Web Indexing - is a process to collect, save and find fast and accurate information, when the user searches for the specific information on the web.
Web Searching - Web search is the keyword or the query which a user enters into a search engine in order for the required information on the web.
So that means search engines are a great source to obtain visitors, traffic; thereby improving the business. It's always better to get listed and obtain business rather than sitting and waiting for the same to come. The below list provides the information about the important search engines and the submission page. We have 3 - Majors, along with the other 7 search engines that follow. The majority of the share is shared among the top 3 - Search Engines, i.e., GOOGLE, YAHOO and MSN. If we talk about the exact share, then roughly we can say the following coverage for the search engines,
Search Engine Statistics
Google - nearly 70%
Yahoo - nearly 20%
MSN - nearly 5%
Other Search Engines - 5%
So, it becomes so necessary to get listed in the top 3 Search Engines.
Top 10 Search Engines to get your Website Listed
- GOOGLE.COM The best search engine available on world wide web. Get listed in Google, Submit Here
- YAHOO.COM Yahoo is the other search engine which comes into play after Google. Get listed in Yahoo, Submit Here
- MSN.COM MSN is another major search engine, but not as big as Google or Yahoo is. Get listed in MSN, Submit Here
- AOL.COM AOL Search uses Google's crawler-based index. It shows the same natural and paid listings like Google's Result. The point here submitting your site to AOL is only that you are an AOL user.
- ALLTHEWEB.COM All The Web uses Yahoo! search results.
- ALTAVISTA.COM Alta Vista is one of the oldest search engines on the Internet, now purchased by Yahoo, uses Yahoo Search Results.
- ASK.COM Ask Jeeves initially was the "natural language" search engine that lets the user to search by asking questions and responding with what seemed to be the right answer to everything. Ask works on crawler-based technology to provide results to its users. The results are taken from the Teoma algorithm, now known as ExpertRank. Get listed in ASK, Submit Here
- GIGABLAST.COM Gigablast launched in 2002, has a tiny index of the web. It provides the users with high-quality, relevant search results. Get listed in Giga Blast, Submit Here
- LYCOS.COM Lycos takes it's listings from All The Web.
- LIVE.COM Live is the Microsoft's Web Search Engine, and is the major competitor to Google and Yahoo. The search engine offers features, like adjusting the amount of information to be displayed for each search result, along with saving the searches. Get listed in Live, Submit Here